Monday, October 5, 2026

Not this year

There is a tree on the way to our trail that turns a deep, vibrant red for just a few days each October.  

Olive's ears, 2022
One of my favorite October traditions is to take pictures of...
Stealth's ears, 2021
and with that tree.
Jennifer on Stealth, Karen on Thunder, Mary Jo on Scarlett, 2021
I love the Red Tree...
Lucy, 2020
and I love these Red Tree pictures.
Olive, 2022
Last year, I adopted a four year old Mustang mare. 
May 2025
She was gentled, but had not been ridden. Accordingly, last year's Red Tree photos were unmounted.
"This is fine," I told myself. "Next year, we'll do it with me on her back."
That has been the goal for an entire year.
first sit, November 2025
We have worked slowly but steadily to make it happen.
June 2026
When we needed help, we got help.
August 2026
We are so close...
October 2026
but the leaves on that tree have already started turning...
and I know we're not quite there.
I have ridden Sage outside the ring...
and Rain has ridden her off the property.
She's walked by that tree a million times, but not with a person on her back.
I'm pretty sure I could get her there if I was really determined. 
I know Rain could.
Honestly, though, I don't think that would be pleasant for anyone.
We're close, but we're not quite there.
It's okay.
I know we'll get there - later rather than sooner - when the time is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment