Thursday, May 20, 2010

Not ready and finishing finishwork

The Devilish Kokopelli Live Show will be held this Saturday in Golden, Colorado. I absolutely love this show. It's one of Colorado's few multi-division shows, and show holders Heather Roell and Teresa Fedak do a wonderful job of bringing in knowledgeable and fun judges from outside our region. The show hall is bright and spacious and there is always a good turnout. This show is a winner and I look forward to it all year long.

Except, perhaps, this year.

I've paid my entry fee so I am going to go, but that doesn't mean that I'm ready. Blame it on the plumbing or the roof or Bobbie or my sister's visit or the kids' end of school activities or all of the above. The net result is the same. I am completely and entirely unprepared. I'm not packed. I'm not organized. I don't have a plan.

One thing I do have, however, is this just-finished-today addition to my showstring. Yep, after some four years in progress, I finally calling him finished. He's not perfect, but honestly, I think I could spend the rest of my life chasing perfect. I want to show him, so I've decided he's good enough.

And for the most part, I think he is good enough.And yet, I'm not one hundred percent convinced. How do finishwork artists ever decide that a piece is really finished? That sounds like a funny question, but it something I wonder about. Is it finished because it's really the best you can do or simply because it needs to be ready for a show on Saturday? Is it really finished if I think I might go back and work on it again at some point in the future? Can it ever really be finished until it's put in a box and mailed away?

Tomorrow I think I need to work on packing and maybe a little bit of tack. Obviously I find that much less confusing!

2 comments:

  1. For some reason, even though I plan my entries at least one month before each show, the show itself sneaks up on me. I end up staying awake until midnight on the night before the show finishing tack and packing. I really hope I can get out of this habit before the next show comes around!

    Your custom really does look great. I don't see any flaws... I think that sometimes the person who customized the model sees flaws on it that no one else does or probably ever will. I know that's true for me.

    As for finishing finishwork, I've never thought about it that way. I suppose that a piece becomes finished as soon as you paint/pastel/etc. it to whatever color or pattern you desire. I usually customize a model to look like a real horse I've seen, so as soon as I've finished pastelling all the layers on and have painted and glossed the hooves and eyes, I call it done. But then, I really haven't done much customization yet and I do suppose that you could work on a model for your entire lifetime and still not consider it "done." All I can say is that it doesn't make it any easier to fuss over small details that you don't think are good enough, when the overall quality is as good as you can reasonably make it. That's not saying that if you make a big mistake on a model that you shouldn't try to go back and fix it. Just dont worry about "That's not *perfect*." As long as its not a major problem, leave it alone and think about why it turned out like it did, what exactly you don't like about it, and how you could do it better on the next model you customize. Otherwise, you will probably drive yourself insane!

    Hope that helps explain it a little bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo!

    Don't forget the tack :D

    ReplyDelete