Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Tack Tips--Getting started, part two

I am often asked where I buy my tools and supplies so today I'm going to reveal some of my favorite sources for various tackmaking needs.

Once again, I'm going to start with Rio Rondo (http://www.riorondo.com/). This is simply the most complete source for all kinds of hobby goodies. In addition to the kits we discussed last time, Rio Rondo also carries all kinds of leather and leatherwork supplies as well as a dizzying array of model hardware. I particularly like the shiny, photo-etched buckles, d-rings and halter and saddle plates.Rio Rondo's online order form is easy to use and their customer service is consistently good. They do charge a small order fee for orders less than $10, but that is never a problem for me. I tend to buy in bulk so I am far more likely to qualify for free shipping (orders over $100)!

The second stop on my tour of favorite suppliers is The World of Model Horse Collecting (http://stores.shop.ebay.com/The-World-of-Model-Horse-Collecting__W0QQ_armrsZ1). This eBay shop is owned by Alison Bennish and is chock full of all kinds of hobby hardware. Alison's bits and stirrups are my absolute favorites. In general, her castings are very clean and need little to no clean up before use. Alison's shipping rates are very affordable, so this is the place to go if you only need one small item.
I use a lot of leather lace and without a doubt, my favorite lace supplier is Melody Snow (http://www.unicornwoman.com/ ). Not only is Melody's lace superior in quality, it's also available in a wide selection of colors and widths. I especially like the Brandy color which is shown below.
Aside from lace, the two types of leather I use the most are Petite Tooling Calf and Sheepskin Skiver. I buy these by the hide at my local Leather Factory (http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/ ) store. Unfortunately, the Leather Factory has discontinued the skiver hides. I stocked up before they were gone and still have about half a hide left. I'm not sure what I'll do when I get to the end of it. Suggestions on this are gladly welcomed!Of course, leather isn't the only thing you can buy at the Leather Factory. I also buy all my dyes there as well as all sorts of leather working tools.Micro Mark (http://www.micromark.com/) is a wonderful source of small scale tools. The three piece pounce wheel set is of one of the most helpful tools a model tackmaker can have in her arsenal. I use the smallest wheel to add the "stitch marks" to my tack. It's a wonderfully easy way to give your tack that little extra bit of flare!
If you like bling (and who doesn't?), be sure to check out this site: http://www.crafts2do.com/ . They carry all kinds of small scale decorations that work wonderfully on model tack. This breast collar by Erin Corbett has three different types of Crafts 2 Do findings: nailheads, teardrops, and medallions. Don't forget your local hobby and craft shops. Even with so many great online offerings, I still do get in my car and drive to Hobby Lobby on a regular basis. It's a great place to buy fabrics, thread, ribbon, embroidery floss, glue, wire, small tools and all sorts of jewelry making supplies. Here is a small selection of things I've bought at my neighborhood store.
This list is by no means all-inclusive. There are so many different places to find good tackmaking supplies. Keep your eyes on the lookout and before you know it will probably have as much in your stash as I do in mine. Happy hunting!

10 comments:

  1. I use Pittards gloving leather for seats and knee rolls etc, the only problem is it is pre-dyed so you have to be good at matching. Otherwise, look at J. Hewit who make lovely fair calf for book covering, and also sell fair skiver (fair meaning un-dyed and un-finished). I have contacted them by email (rather than buying direct through their website) to ask for off-cuts and damaged skins as you can get a great discount.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, thank you!! I will definitely look into ordering from J. Hewitt when I get closer to the end of my last hide. I really like the idea of asking for second quality hides. The pieces I need are small enough that I usually have no trouble working around imperfections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and I love it! It's chock full of helpful hints and how-tos for modelers new to tack making. Thanks so much for the great tips. I love your tack--it's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favorite posts of yours, its so helpful! And thank you for you wonderful tips it has really helped me create my own tack. You are truly a inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw u,on utube

      Delete
    2. I dnt have a link but she has a blog just type in Covert studios

      Delete
    3. Or just tap on her name and look to the left side of the screen and u see her blogspot

      Delete
  5. The cost value of stable mat is directly proportional to your budget. Thereby, you should buy such fascinating products from market without wasting time. Please visit: http://goo.gl/rIhMM0

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should try use garment sheepskins instead of skiver. It is ever so slightly thicker, but looks the same on the grain side and is slightly more fleshy on the flesh side. It is also cheaper. It is hard to buy skiver in Australia.

    ReplyDelete