Since starting this Blog, I've had the opportunity to revisit a lot of my sold tack pieces from the last seven or eight years. Most things still look pretty good to me, but I admit, there are a few items I wish I could have another chance at. I’m not talking about really out of scale work or shoddy craftsmanship. I was reasonably accomplished when I started selling my tack, so there’s nothing that’s that bad out there. Instead, the problems I'm seeing are more subtle—proportions that aren't quite right, asymmetries and fitting issues.
Indeed, these are the same challenges I struggle with daily. It’s not enough to make something that looks pretty good. I’m aiming for great. The halters I showcased yesterday are a perfect example of this. I really enjoyed making them and initially, I was pleased with the way they turned out. However, when I tacked up the horses for the photo shoot, I noticed the Western halter was fitting lower and tighter than I like. I wrestled with it a bit and managed to convince myself it was fine. I took the pictures, uploaded them to Blogspot and moved onto something else.
Fortunately, I did not put that halter in a box and mail it away.
When I logged on to Blogspot later that evening, the problems with the halter were impossible to ignore. A show halter should flatter a horse’s head. This one did not. See the ring where the cheek piece, throatlatch and crown buckle come together? It’s not in the right spot. The noseband is too low and the throatlatch is a wee bit short. It’s close, but close just isn't good enough.
Now I hate, hate, hate having to redo things, but not quite as much as I hate things that don’t fit properly. There was no way around it--I had to fix this halter. Thankfully, it didn't take all that long. I think it looks much better now and I am very pleased that this one time I did get my second chance!
The next two pictures are a sneak peek at the marathon harness I'm making to fit Lisa Sharpe's Ima Sharpe Cutter resin. He is not your typical carriage horse and his position has been an interesting challenge for me. I chose to go with a Hungarian style breastcollar. It's a bit hard to see in the picture, but the straps are lying in between the large locks of mane rather than just sitting on top.
I really like the way Lisa sculpted this guy to be tack friendly. The throatlatch is actually passing under and through the mane. Too neat! If you'd like to see more pictures of this resin and find out how to order one, please visit Lisa's website: http://www.equinesculpt.com/