Friday, September 4, 2026

Friday favorites

Except in regards to plagiarism, signatures and timeframes, the rules for Sarah Minkiewicz' National Retro Vintage Month (NaReViMo) are loosely defined. Participants are challenged to create one or more models "vintage custom style", the definition of which is left up to each individual artist.

Every single model created during this event was uniquely delightful.
a few of the finished and unfinished August horses
However, at least to my mind, the person who most perfectly captured that retro vibe was Amanda Ingram. Just look at these three beauties! If I didn't know better, I would swear they stepped right off the pages of the Model Horse Gazette.
The first is an old Hess Standing Stock Horse Foal customized to an Appaloosa. 
Here's Amanda's description of her creation: I used Gesso as my primer and sponged it on for a textured looking coat.  It also makes my paintwork look better IMO.  I applied Golden Acrylic paints with an airbrush, sponge and regular detail brush.   
For the hairing, I wanted to try some craft fur. I haven't touched that stuff since my teenage years and didn't have fond memories of the results. However, I bought a two toned gray and white piece from Hobby Lobby last September to try again! I like to "root" the mane by cutting a groove down the top of the neckline. In this case, I cut all the way through the plastic. I left the backing on the craft fur and stuffed the backing down into that groove. I also left the backing on the tail and sewed it up like a tube and then glued it on the tailbone.  Easier than I thought and I am happy with the results too!
I added plastic 4.5mm inset eyes. The eye sockets were too big and the eyes sunk in more than I expected. Also, I have been experimenting with adding eyelashes so the eyes don't look so bugged out.   I used ramie hair as it is finer. Hopefully, you can see the lashes.
Then, I thought I need to take photos of these outside like old times!   I have to admit, it was fun laying down in the grass to get the best shot!
Amanda's second NaReViMo custom is a Classic Ginger. 
Amanda writes: She was inspired by this vintage custom, which I purchased last year.   
I repositioned all legs with a heat gun, resculpted the nose and added plastic inset eyes. I used soft Ramie fibers to hair her mane and tail.
She is primed in Gesso using a sponge to give her coat a textured  look (and cover imperfections!). I airbrushed her using Golden Acrylics and added white markings/spots using a sponge and brush.
Last but not least, is this lovely chestnut roan Breyer Thoroughbred mare (#3155).
Amanda says: I decided on roan because it was one of the first colors I painted. Also, I wanted to revisit  my love for strawberry roans. I fell in love with Sweetbriar, a horse in the PBS series Flambards. Anyone remember that series?
The TB mare was also one of my favorite models back then but, I didn't have the skills to execute one the way I envisioned it. So, I tried again and here she is..... still not what I wanted.
The details: I gave her a small tummy tuck, brought the rear legs under her more and turned the ears forward. I used a Gesso base for primer and texture. I used Golden Acrylics (Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Titanium white, Mars Black, Transparent Shading Gray, Transparent Burnt Umber and Pearl white). I used sponges back then. I tried that again and the results were pretty poor. I switched over to the toothbrush flick method to add roaning. Hobby Lobby brand satin sealer gave her a nice protective sheen. 
She has real mohair this time since I had the perfect shade. It's much fluffier than my usual ramie. 
She has brown 4.5mm plastic inset eyes with eyelashes (my current fad!). 
You may not be completely satisfied with her, Amanda, but I am in love. All three of your horses - but especially this one - are perfect embodiments of the Retro Vintage Style. Of all the models created last month, they are my favorites. My Friday Favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment